Thursday, May 3, 2012

30: Chinatown Central Plaza



30: Chinatown Central Plaza
Designed by: Shan Chao, Cindy Suryiani
Piano type: Spinet
Playability: Great
Weather: 60°F, partly cloudy
How I got here: Metro Rapid 733 Bus, Metro Expo Line, Metro Red Line, Bicycle

Sound the fanfare, I have finally arrived!

Of all the pianos, I had this one at Chinatown at the back of my mind. I had visited it once before, but it was inaccessible at the time. When I heard earlier today via Twitter that the L.A. Chamber Orchestra was doing a farewell reception at the Chinatown piano from 3-9 p.m., I knew it was fate or serendipity. Or maybe even karma.

I had told some folks I met through this installation about it, and some of them came down to check out the reception, like Stephen Jerrome and Janet Sudo (who came there earlier). The Chinatown Business Improvement District had some free treats there. I ran into Jean Chan from the BID, who I met at the KPCC LA Riots discussion focus group a week before I played my first piano. It's kinda like everything the past month or so went full circle.

A few folks were playing the piano. When it was finally vacant, I got on it and started playing.

At around 7 p.m. on Thursday, May 3, I finally made it -- I had played all 30 "Play Me, I'm Yours" street pianos!

I even played some Ray Charles songs. Not just "Georgia On My Mind," but "What I'd Say" as well. One guy was hanging out watching me play and taking pictures. He gave me some props. I didn't find out until later from his comments on Twitter that he was artist Danny Heller, who designed the classy City Hall piano!

Around that time, L.A. Chamber Orchestra staff members Sandra Chien and Maya Kalinowski (who does their Twitter) came down and introduced themselves. I kinda felt like Dorothy finally meeting The Wizard of Oz, or even Luke Skywalker getting awarded at the end of 'Star Wars.'

For my last song, I did Randy Newman's "I Love L.A." and had the Chinatown BID folks, the LA Chamber Orchestra contingent, and even passers-by be in the (low-light) video chant, "We love it!" in the song:




Afterward I hung out and played a bunch of other songs on the piano. It ended up being a big singalong with some of the Chinatown BID folks, with me playing some '80s songs for "us older folks" and struggling to play some current hits for the youngsters (I know all the Adele stuff though!).


Later on they had food from Via Cafe right next door, and I was invited to eat with them and ended up hanging out with them the rest of the night, culminating with drinks at Hop Louie.


Though most of the people there, like the very hospitable George Yu, were folks I didn't really know before, they made me feel like I was always part of their group. They weren't exactly strangers, since I have a lot of friends who are active in the Chinatown community who they are mutual friends with as well.


It was sort of an informal celebration, a few of us in the group played the piano as the night went on. It was a nice way to celebrate the end of something fun. We also learned that though "Play Me, I'm Yours" is officially done, the piano would remain through the rest of the weekend.

I also learned that the piano was covered up to protect it from taggers as well as drunk hipsters stumbling out of the nearby Mountain Bar. All worth it, since it was one of the best playing ones as well as one of the best designed ones. Good times.

George and Eddie put the Chinatown piano away for the night. 
Mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment