Friday, April 20, 2012

A Little Car Trouble!


A funny thing happened on my way to my intended street piano #10 at Glendale Community College:
My car broke down.

A totally unexpected event, since in the nearly 7 years I've owned my car, it's the first time it had any sort of mechanical trouble.

I was stuck in stop-and-go traffic on the eastbound 134 freeway when I started notice my engine shake. Finally, when stopping in the clogged freeway, my engine shut down. Ruh-Roh.

I turned on my hazard lights and started my car again. It started, but it didn't feel the same. I was able to navigate to the right-hand shoulder, wondering what I was going to do. I made an attempt to search for the number of Metro's Freeway Service Patrol (It's "#399" for references sake) on my phone, but a CHP patrol officer spotted me and asked if I was okay. I told him my engine conked out on me and he said he'd get a Freeway Service Patrol truck on its way.

A few minutes later, I was able to start my car up and drive off the shoulder and get off at the next exit -- Victory Blvd. When I had to stop in advance of the red light, the shakiness of my engine was more obvious. I made a right and pulled over to see if anything was wrong with my engine - nothing visible to my eye.

I hobbled down Sonora Avenue to San Fernando Road where I happened on the first car mechanic I saw. Fortunately there was a whole mall full of them. Left my car overnight for repairs the next day. I had my sister pick me up from the Glendale mechanic.

Hopefully this won't put a damper on my piano quest. Most of them are within reach of transit anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I’m sorry to hear that something unfortunate happened to you, and I hope you had no more troubles like this one in the future. My suggestion is that you should at least check your car engine’s liquid needs before you go out for a ride. You can also check the batteries, and see if they are drained or not. By doing all these safety precautions, you can absolutely avoid further mishaps on the road. Take care now, and stay safe! :)

    Sandy Gonzales

    ReplyDelete