Thursday, April 19, 2012

7: Egyptian Theatre, Hollywood


7: Egyptian Theatre, Hollywood
Designed by:
Andre Miripolsky, Hollywood Arts Council
Piano type: Console
Playability: Good
Weather: 73°F, mostly sunny
How I got here: Metro Red Line subway

My 7th street piano was at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood - the one that's in closest proximity to where I live. I remember first watching Return of the Jedi at this theatre as a pre-teen, back when it was Mann's Egyptian back in 1983.

What's funny is that because it's basically on Hollywood Blvd, where costumed characters, buskers, tour guides, vendors, beggars and everyone else vie for people's attention every day, so most people paid no attention to the piano being played, unlike other parts of town, where the music is much more appreciated.

Unbeknownst to me, someone was taking pictures and video of me here in Hollywood:







Right after I got done, another pianist, Stephen Jerrome, came up and also set up a tripod to record himself playing. He was also doing a tour of some of the street pianos and posting videos on his Facebook page.



He played some very nice melodic compositions of his. The pianos also made a nice venue for musicians to network with each other.

I just played some improvised stuff at this piano:



No comments:

Post a Comment