Thursday, May 3, 2012

28: Santa Monica Pier


28: Santa Monica Pier
Designed by:
Crossoads School
Piano type: Full upright
Playability: ACK!
Weather: 65°F, mostly sunny
How I got here: Metro Red Line, Metro Expo Line, Metro Rapid 733 bus, Bicycle


Maybe it was a good thing my Westside piano mission was cut short yesterday. On Thursday, May 3, the last day of "Play Me, I'm Yours," finally the sun cut through the clouds.

I was contemplating taking the Metro Rapid 704 on Santa Monica from East Hollywood to the beach, but opted instead to try the Metro Expo Line to its western terminus at La Cienega and make my way west. That also included a bus ride to Venice and a bike ride to The Pier. When all was said and done, I should have stuck to plan A.


But it was mostly sunny and clear here at the Santa Monica Pier. I was dreading having to play here during the past few gloomy days, at last the climate did the locale some justice! Just in time!


Unfortunately, the climate did not do this street piano justice -- it was in the worst condition of all the 30 pianos. The entire piano had full sustain without the pedals, more than several keys did not play, and many of the upper-octave keys were way out of tune. The salty sea air and frequent fog and humidity did their damage. I also heard the rain from a couple weeks ago really did this one in.

Guess that's why it's a street piano and not a sea piano.
I was able to play Otis Redding's "Dock Of The Bay," just barely. A few tourists watched and snapped photos. It was a nice day to be out on The Pier though.

No comments:

Post a Comment