Friday, April 20, 2012

9: El Portal Theatre, North Hollywood


9: El Portal Theatre, North Hollywood
Designed by: 
Oscar Magallanes
Piano type: Full upright
Playability: Good
Weather: 94°F, sunny
How I got here: Car

My 'take two' of the street piano at the El Portal Theatre in North Hollywood. I played this one yesterday, but was told to stop playing due to filming going on inside the theatre. So I returned to get my pic and video. Technically, it was my 8th street piano, but for the purposes of this blog, I'll just log it as my 9th, no big deal.

It was a hot, 94-degree day and I was sweating even before I got to play!

The NoHo Arts District was a great place to put a street piano. Music was already in the air - a cafe across the street in the shopping center had a laptop DJ and an MC perform some hip-hop in the front patio.

Two women, Dzigbodi and Cassandra, who lived nearby, were checking out the piano, one of them recognized me from my Union Station video on YouTube! We talked about the pianos that we saw or are planing to see. They wanted to check out the ones in Santa Monica tomorrow.


I asked Dzigbodi, who does artist relations for RAW Artists, to film my performance.

I noticed that the playability was better than yesterday. There was a low-octave "G" key that was badly out of tune yesterday, but today it played just fine. I played Alicia Keys' "If I Ain't Got You" and Force MD's "Tender Love":


No comments:

Post a Comment