Friday, April 20, 2012

10: Music Center, Downtown L.A.


10: Music Center, Downtown L.A.
Designed by: 
Raoul de la Sota, Pola Lopez, Avenue 50 Studio
Piano type: Spinet
Playability: Good
Weather: 60°F, cloudy
How I got here: Metro Red Line subway, bicycle

At last, I hit the 1/3rd mark with my 10th piano, on the third attempt. Car breakdowns nor early piano closures won't stop me!

I biked down Hill, Temple and Grand to the Music Center and walked my bike up to the main plaza, where a green-lit dancing water fountain rose and fell. I finally spotted the piano on the Hope St. side of the plaza, next to the valet parking kiosk.

Using the "play to the environment" philosophy tonight, I watched the dancing water fountain and "played along" to it - playing at softer volumes when the fountain was low, and louder when the fountain rose high.

It was dark, and the photo and video doesn't fully capture the azure mermaid design, but having the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion - a local icon of the performing arts - in the background was a cool sight to have.

There were a few people who strolled by, as there was an event that had just let out. A few people snapped pictures/video, but no real audience here.

It was all fun until they shut the fountain off at around 10 p.m. Too bad, I didn't even get to record my performance.

So here I went, with another improvised piece (the laughing you hear came from the valets off-screen to the right, they were telling jokes to one another):


No comments:

Post a Comment