Sunday, April 15, 2012

6: El Pueblo Historical Monument, Downtown L.A.


6: El Pueblo Historical Monument, Downtown L.A.
Designed by: 
Frank Romero
Piano type: Spinet (Gulbransen)
Playability: Good
Weather: 68°F, sunny
How I got here: Bicycle

Just blocks north of the City Hall street piano was my sixth, also on the CicLAvia route on April 15, this time at the El Pueblo Historic Monument, right by Olvera Street. There was a religious program in Spanish going on in the plaza at the time, and the announcer was making announcements, which sort of drowned my playing. This one was designed by famed Angeleno artist and muralist Frank Romero, who's famous for his paintings of cars and other vehicles. This Gulbransen spinet seemed to play pretty well.

My friend Edgar and family joined me up to this point to take pics and video, but then I realized it was just past 2 p.m., and I needed to head back to East Hollywood to help take down our neighborhood council's outreach canopy along the route, which I helped set up earlier in the morning.

I wanted to do a song about L.A., but was ill-prepared to do Randy Newman's "I Love L.A.," so I decided to play an original song, "Sunshine," which is a song that's about Los Angeles:


M

No comments:

Post a Comment